It’s no easy task to keep tabs on stainless steel kegs as they travel from beverage manufacturer to distributor and back again. Finding a way to do so is critical for manufacturers to maintain their fleet of kegs, optimize circulation times, demand forecasting, quality and maintenance plans, and of course, to reduce costs and minimize losses. Digital traceability is the solution.
As is the case in all sectors of the food and beverage industry, the supply chain that keeps kegs in circulation is a complex one that comes with its own set of challenges.
• Achieving control and visibility over fleets is a daily challenge.
• Keg traceability is complex because of the high number and numerous locations of distributors.
• Competitors use similar kegs. Identifying which ones belong to which company is not always easy.
• Logistical collection of data needs to be simple and easy.
• Internal transfers between distribution sites or retailers are frequent.
• Manufacturers want to minimize keg losses by knowing where they were distributed and the return rate.
• Markings on the kegs need to be damage-proof.
• Solutions must be able to process kegs already on the market.
• Manufacturers often need to add other monitoring metrics, such as the keg temperature along the supply chain.
• Reverse logistics is complicated in markets where beer is not pasteurized. The turnover rate is high and the window of operation is short.
OPTEL’s technologies provide precise unit-level traceability at every step of the supply chain. Many metrics can be monitored depending on the client’s needs, with scalable options. Keg traceability enables your business to increase efficiency, reduce keg losses, improve operations and recall management, combat fraud and counterfeiting, and engage with the consumer.
• Each keg is assigned a unique identifier (UID) with a smart tag.
• GPS location is recorded according to client requirements (number of checkpoints).
• When the keg is returned to the manufacturer, data is uploaded to the cloud-based platform.
• All unit events are recorded and uploaded to the cloud platform.
• Reporting and dashboards map the keg’s journey, circulation times, return rates, location and inventory, and history (last location).
• Actionable data is now available for further keg authentication at every step of the supply chain, up to the consumer.
• The freshness of the beer can also be measured.
• A sensor in the UID tag records keg temperature 🌡 according to client requirements.
• This data is transferred to the solution’s cloud database once the keg comes back to the manufacturer.
Achieving the next-generation supply chain requires strategic planning and involves every aspect of the company. Choose a supplier who has
the expertise and a vision to support you in your digital supply chain transformation. Expertise in track-and-trace, blockchain, serialization,
cloud, Industry 4.0 and the Internet of things is a must for a successful path to supply chain innovation.
Contact us for a demo or any questions you may have. We will get back to you within 24 hours.
CASE STUDY: A natural bottled water tackled the global plastic crisis using OPTEL’s traceability technologies.
CASE STUDY: A world’s leading beverage brands realized they had a counterfeiting issue, they sought a solution that would provide visibility throughout the supply chain without publicizing the problem.